Welcome to Mt. Zion United Methodist Church at Peach Bottom! We’re a small, friendly, family-friendly church in southern Lancaster County, PA, in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch Country. Click here for directions. We share a mission with all United Methodist churches, making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
Hooray, We’re Open!
Now that Lancaster County is “green”, we have re-opened for in-person worship with our regular 11:00 AM worship service. However:
- Older persons in vulnerable age groups, especially those with certain health conditions, should not attend.
- Please do not attend if you are sick, coughing, sneezing, running a fever, etc.
- Please wear a mask. If you do not have one, we can provide. If you have a health condition that prevents you from wearing a mask, consider not attending. Note the governor’s latest order regarding masks.
- “Safe distancing” will limit our attendance to about half our capacity. Every other row of pews is roped off. Please sit together in family groups who live in the same household.
- Protect yourself and your neighbors by maintaining safe distancing. This means no handshakes, no hugging and kissing, etc.
- We will have a “no touch” thermometer, if you’d like us to check your temperature.
- We will have plenty of hand sanitizer available, and disinfectant soap in the restroom.
- Singing WILL be permitted, as long as masks are being worn.
- We will frequently sanitize common surfaces, like door handles, rest room facilities, etc.
Pastor Roger plans to continue hosting online worship for those who are not able to attend. Time is still Sunday at 11:00 AM, on Facebook Live. This will be a more abbreviated format than we have been doing. You can join our online worship here: bit.ly/watchmtzion
New: Online/Electronic Donations!
Now Mt. Zion is able to accept your donations online, electronically. We know that giving is a challenge when we’re not able to gather in person for worship. Support our ministries using your major credit card. Just click on the Donate button below:
You can use major credit/debit cards, and you can even set up automatic scheduled donations. And even though it’s done with PayPal, you do not need a PayPal account. Plus, it’s secure.
Emergency Food Needs
Food needs list updated as of July 12! Many of our neighbors need food assistance thanks to the COVID-19 situation. Click here for the list of food needs from Solanco Neighborhood Ministries.
COVID-19 Update – Services Now Streaming Online!
We are resuming in-person worship on Sunday mornings at 11:00, with appropriate health and safety precautions. However, Pastor Roger will continue to “live stream” our prayers and his weekly message Sunday mornings at 11 using Facebook Live. Please be sure you Like and Follow our Facebook page at facebook.com/PBMtZionUMC/ so you’re ready.
Click here to go directly to our Facebook Live page. This is where you’ll find us on Sunday morning at 11:00 AM. You can view our archived online worship services, too.
Mt. Zion’s COVID-19 resources:
- Coronavirus Updates page – latest news from Mt. Zion about the Coronavirus.
- Coronavirus Discussion forum – How can we respond to the Coronavirus?
- New Dates – Details on rescheduling of our various United Methodist conferences.
A pastor of another local congregation writes the following:
“There is no doubt that this virus is of grave concern and has some serious implications for heath care, travel, education, work and the economy. It would be foolish to ignore the scope of what is happening. We are encouraging you to not lose heart or give in to fear or panic. Jesus overcame sickness, death and destruction and he is LORD of all! He has not been caught off guard by this epidemic and neither is he confused about what is happening. Satan is the prince of this world, but he is only the prince, not the King. Satan promotes lies, isolation and fear, so let us choose not to follow his lead through this crisis.”
Watch the Video!
You can watch recorded versions of our livestream online worship services on our church Facebook page, facebook.com/PBMtZionUMC.
Although we’re not sure when and how we will return to our regular schedule, here it is: We worship together on Sunday mornings at 11:00, and celebrate Holy Communion on the first Sunday of each month. Stop by for fellowship time at 10:30 Sunday morning.
It Ain’t Over Until It’s Over
Or, the Continuing Saga…
With apologies to the late great Yogi Berra, Pastor Roger responds with words of reassurance to the most recent proposals to address the controversy within the United Methodist Church. Read his letter here. And keep our United Methodist Church in prayer, as we seek to find ways to grow through very divisive issues. Due to the Coronavirus, all of our United Methodist conferences where these issues would have been dealt with have been rescheduled, with dates as far away as November 2021. Check out the new dates here.
Rawlinsville Camp Meeting
Rawlinsville Camp Meeting 2020 is coming fast, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic there will be major changes to this year’s Camp Meeting. Here are the details as we have them at this time:
- Camp Meeting will be shortened to six evenings, Sunday through Friday, July 26-31, at 7:30 PM.
- Evangelist Jim Ehrman will speak July 26-28, and evangelist Bert Jones will speak July 29-31.
- No children/youth programs due to the coronavirus restrictions.
- No food service, and the snack bar will not be open.
- We are planning to “live stream” this year’s evening services.
Earthquakes in Puerto Rico, devastating fires in Australia. It seems like disasters are happening right and left. What can we do? See Pastor Roger’s blog, Disasters Happen, for some ways you can help people in need, both near and far, by donating to UMCOR.
You’ll find that we’re engaged in ministry, too, as a member of the SOULanco Mission Connection group of United Methodist congregations in southern Lancaster County. We’re proud to be part of Rawlinsville Camp Meeting as one of the founding churches. We support the Solanco Food Bank (Solanco Neighborhood Ministries), LUMINA, the new “Bare Essentials” clothing ministry, and the IMPACT! Missions housing ministry.
In 2020 Mt. Zion UMC continues to partner with IMPACT! Missions, a faith-based housing ministry dedicated to helping everyone have a home that’s warm, safe and dry. We’re doing a volunteer workday with IMPACT! Missions on the first Saturday of each month, from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Contact Pastor Roger to sign up.
Want to get in touch, or ask questions? Click here for our Contact page.
You’ll also find us on Facebook and Twitter.
“Early Christians didn’t attend church. They were the church. ” @cnieuwhof